A delicious fuss-free dessert and a total crowd-pleaser. Serve with dairy-free ice-cream or coconut yoghurt for a memorable moment of indulgence.
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 60 mins | Serves: 8
Cherries are a knock-out fruit—the perfect union of sweet and sour. And a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin C, and powerful plant polyphenols to fight inflammation. Make the most of these bite-sized beauties by baking our very cherry galette. After all, the cherry season arrives for a good time, not a long time. But if you’re anything like us and can’t wait till summer, frozen cherries or blueberries and even canned plums work a treat too!
Start with our shortcut pastry recipe and vegan almond butter to create the ideal base. You then have the option of making one large galette or splitting the dough into four mini galettes, which are the cutest little things ever. Your guests will love them! And as mentioned earlier, you can use any seasonal fruits you like, so dream big! Peaches and nectarines make good friends, especially for a summer soiree, while sautéed pears soaked in cinnamon are wonderful in winter.
Looking for lunch instead? You can also adapt this recipe to make a savoury galette. Simply remove the icing sugar and replace it with 25 grams of flour, and add an optional 5 grams of nutritional yeast flakes and a teaspoon of turmeric for a cheesy, fermented flavour. Then choose your favourite savoury filling. Heirloom tomatoes and roasted garlic make a fine pair. Just be sure to salt the tomatoes ahead of time to release their liquid. It will allow them to caramelize and ensure the base remains crusty.
Tip: When rolling your pastry, allow the dough to curve up the lip of the baking tray. It makes it easier to fold over the edges.
- 230g plain flour
- 130g vegan baking butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 90g Almo Milk
- 1 cup (250g) cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch (or corn starch)
- 1/3 cup (80g) finely chopped pistachios
- Fresh lemon zest
Tip: Prepare your vegan baking butter in adance. Simply blend Almo Crème and coconut oil together in a 1:1 ratio and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until set.
- In a large mixing bowl or food processor, combine flour, cold vegan butter, icing sugar and salt until fine crumbs form. Add Almo Milk and blend until the mixture scrapes away from the bowl and forms a dough. Check the dough’s consistency. If you add too much liquid, compensate with more flour.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and gently knead with the heel of your hand until the pastry comes together and forms a cohesive ball. Using your hands, roll pastry into a flat slab, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour before use. Alternatively, separate dough into four even pieces to make four small galettes (the most adorable things ever).
- While your pastry cools, preheat the oven to 180°C and position the rack in the middle. Wash your cherries, remove pits and slice into halves. Add cherries to the dough bowl –no need to rinse– and toss with chopped pistachios, organic cane sugar, fresh lemon zest and tapioca starch.
- Retrieve pastry from the fridge and transfer to a benchtop lined with baking paper. Allow dough to cool to room temperature before rolling it directly on the baking paper into a 20 cm wide circle, roughly 3 mm thick. Too thin and you may get a leaky galette. Carefully transfer the dough and baking paper to a baking tray.
- Place cherry mixture in the centre of the dough and carefully fold the edges up, overlapping them as you go. Brush the pastry with a touch of water (or melted vegan butter) and sprinkle with left-over pistachios and organic cane sugar for a beautiful, crispy crust.
- Bake small galettes for 30-35 minutes and large galette for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. Serve warm out of the oven with a scoop of vegan ice cream or coconut yoghurt.